October 9, 2013

Bibingkang Kamoteng Kahoy (Cassava Bibingka)

I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food. ~Erma Bombeck

I'm not really sure if cassava cake is the same with cassava bibingka. They look and taste the same but not "exactly" the same. You get me? Sorry, I'm also confused! LOL! I tasted them both but for me, cassava bibingka is lighter than cassava cake... from the texture to the taste. Cassava bibingka is like suman balinghoy (plus coco milk in it) with custard. Cassava cake is like pudding with custard. Hmmm, maybe I should ask my mom tomorrow if they are really the same.

Here is my version of bibingkang kamoteng kahoy. I like it because it is not too sweet. You may add more sugar to bibingka if you prefer sweeter.

For the bibingka:
2 cups cassava, finely grated (fresh or frozen)
1 3/4 cup coconut milk (second extraction)
2 Tbsp salted butter, softened or melted*
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sugar (I used brown sugar)

*If you are using unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp salt

NOTE: Use 9x9 pan for this recipe. Since I don't have 9x9, I used 9x14 pan instead. The result is thinner bibingka.

For the custard:
1 1/4 cup coconut cream (first extraction)
2 tablespoon flour
1 1/4 can condensed milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/8 cup grated cheese


PROCEDURE:
For the bibingka:
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C or 350 F. Grease your baking pan, or you may also line it with banana leaves if you like. Set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
3. Pour the batter in a greased pan and bake it for 25-30 minutes. 
While the bibingka is baking, make the topping.

For the custard:
1. Put the coconut cream, flour, condensed milk in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick.
2. Lower the heat, then slowly add the egg yolks. Mix well. Lastly add the cheese. Cook for a couple of seconds then turn off the heat.
Assemble:
1. When the bibingka is done, remove it from the oven. Pour the custard on top of the bibingka. Use spatula to spread it evenly.
2. Put it back in the oven and set the oven to broil. Cook  until the custard is slightly brown in color.
3. Let the bibingka cool for a couple of hours before slicing. It is soft and sticky while hot.
4. Serve. Share and enjoy.
QUICK NOTES:
1. Put the bibingka in the refrigerator to make it chewy.
2. I personally like to eat it the next day. It seems all the flavors merry together. Try it!
3. Keep it refrigerated since it contains coconut cream.
4. You may add more cheese for the toppings. 
5. Store up to 3 days (refrigerated).

Happy day always,

Rhea

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...