There is no diet that will do what eating healthy does. Skip the diet. Just eat healthy! ~Anonymous
Some trail mix contains high cholesterol and calorie ingredients, salt and loads of sugar. So for me to control these "not so good things", I make it a point to make my own trail mix. This has no salt or added sugar. You'll only get the natural subtle sweetness from the raisins. Nuts and raisins goes well together. Although raisins are dried, it has this moisture (odd but true) that makes the nuts easy to chew and swallow and its sweetness really complemented the smoky taste of nuts. To make the mix more flavorful, I "dry roast" the nuts. Dry roasting means roasting without adding oil or fat. It gives your trail mix a deeper, bolder, smoky flavor. This is really a perfect treat for you especially when you're busy. Just munch a handful and you'll get enough energy to do your work.
So here it is, my homemade trail mix!
Almonds, whole (raw)
Cashew Nuts, halved (raw)
1. Dry roast the nuts (almonds, cashew, and peanuts). You can roast it in the oven at 175C/350F for about 10-15 mins or until it gets the brownish color. Stir or shake the tray so it will be evenly cooked. You can also pan-roast the nuts, just what I did! Just heat the pan or skillet and put all the nuts. Stir or shake the pan occasionally.
2, Let it cool for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the raisins. Mix.
4. Put it in a sealed container.
5. Grab a handful and enjoy!!!
1. If you want the nuts to cook evenly, bake it in the oven. I used the skillet to cook it that's why some parts are browned, some are not.
2. You can add chocolate chips to make it more enticing to eat especially for the kids. Use the dark one for a healthier choice.
3. Don't limit yourself on the kinds of nuts and dried fruits. You can use pecans, macadamia, walnuts, dried prunes, peaches, mango, etc. Mix 'n match! You can also add seeds like pumpkin or sunflower seeds on your mix.
4. Just a reminder, dried fruits are higher in calories than the fresh fruits because they are more concentrated once the water has been removed. So if you're a diabetic or watching your blood sugar, please limit yourself in eating dried fruits.
5. Store it in a sealed canister or container. It will last for a few months if properly stored.
Happy day always,