June 26, 2013

Giniling na Baboy (Pork Giniling / Ground Pork)

"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best." ~Winston Churchill


I'll tell you a secret...  actually... I don't know the real name of my dish. Whenever I ordered this at the canteen during our college days, I just say "giniling" (ground). Today, I asked my mom the name of the dish and she simply answered, giniling! LOL! Maybe it was its real name. Whatever it is called - "giniling, giniling na baboy, ginisang giniling", I'm sure that every Filipino palate know its good taste.




"Giniling" is originally cooked with tomato sauce. But in my recipe, I didn't put tomato sauce, instead I used tomato paste. It is richer and sweeter, that's why I like it more. But if you don't have tomato paste, just use a small pouch of tomato sauce (200g). I also cooked the carrots together with the celery and onion (mirepoix). This is to make the dish more aromatic and flavorful. 

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 kg ground pork
2 carrots, diced
2 to 3 potatoes, diced
1/2 cup fresh green peas or 1 small can of green peas
3 pieces hotdogs, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
1 big red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 to 3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 to 3 cups water
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
fish sauce
salt and pepper
3 pieces boiled eggs, whole or sliced

PROCEDURE:
1. Heat oil in a pan or pot or skillet. Saute the onion, garlic, and celery in medium heat. Cook for a couple of seconds or until the onion becomes translucent.




2. Add the carrots. Cook for a minute.


3.  Add the tomato paste. Stir. 




4. Put the ground pork. Add water and oyster sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes.




5. Stir in the potatoes and hotdog. Cook for 10 minutes, covered.




6. Stir in the bell peppers and green peas. Cook for 5 minutes, covered.




7. Adjust the seasoning. Add fish sauce or salt if needed.




8. Top it with boiled eggs. Serve with hot rice. Share and enjoy!




QUICK TIPS:
1. You can use quail eggs instead of chicken eggs.
2. You can also substitute the ground pork with ground beef.
3. If you don't have oyster sauce, use soy sauce with a tsp of sugar.
4. Left overs can be used as a filling to your "pandesal" or bread.

Servings: 6-8 person

Happy day always,

Rhea

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...