April 12, 2013

Homemade Chicken Nuggets

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear " ~Buddha

Whenever we go to the supermarket, we always buy chicken nuggets, this is one of my son's favorite. But now, I'm trying to avoid buying processed or instant foods. As much as possible, I want to make it homemade. Not only it is more affordable but also healthier. I know what goes into my food and I can also control the saltiness or sweetness of my creation. My son loved my chicken nuggets, it is crispy outside, soft and moist inside. It's flavorful and I can clearly taste the Worcestershire sauce. Next time I will use buttermilk and check the difference. They say that buttermilk can also make your nuggets soft and moist.

INGREDIENTS:
2 chicken breast fillets or 1 whole breast*
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, grated or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup Japanese bread crumbs, finely crushed using a blender or food processor
1 egg, whip until foamy
oil

* If you will be using whole breast, just remove the bone, skin and fats of the chicken.

PROCEDURE:
1. Wash the chicken breast and cut it into bite size. Put the chicken in a bowl or small container, add the Worcestershire, garlic, and salt. Stir. Marinate it for a couple of hours or for at least 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate. (I marinate my chicken overnight)

2. Remove chicken from the Worcestershire mixture. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. 

3. Prepare the coating. Finely crush the Japanese bread crumbs using blender or food processor. Put it in a bowl. Put also the flour and egg in separate bowls. Dip the chicken in flour, then in egg, lastly in bread crumbs.




4. Heat oil and fry the chicken until golden brown. Don't overcook the chicken nuggets. Drain to remove excess oil. Serve and enjoy.




QUICK NOTES:
1. Serve it with your favorite dipping sauce, like ketchup, sweet and sour, sweet chili sauce, mustard, mayonnaise, gravy, OR enjoy it even without sauce - it is good on it's own.
2. Leftovers can be tossed on your favorite green salads. You can also mix it on your pasta, or use it as a topping to your pizza, or a filling to your tortillas. 


Happy homemaking,

Rhea

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...