February 20, 2013

How to cook rice on stove

"Without rice, even the cleverest housewife cannot cook" ~ Chinese Proverbs

I grew up cooking rice on stove, we didn't have rice cooker when I was young. It was during my high school days when we had our first rice cooker, but the funny thing is we only use it for special occasions.
My mom told us not to use it everyday because it consumes too much electricity! Haha! Even until now, I have my own family, I still cook rice using our "ever reliable" stove... and our rice cooker is for special occassions only and... for my "Japan #2 bread". 

Now I'll be sharing with you what my mom taught me... This is my mom's way, my way, and maybe every Filipino housewife's way to cook a fluffy and soft rice.

THINGS YOU NEED:
White rice (I used dinorado rice)
Heavy bottom pot with lid
Water
Stove

PROCEDURE:
1. Rinse your rice two to three times, this is to remove dirt or husk in your rice. (personally, I rinse my rice twice)


2. Fill the pot with water until it completely covers the rice. Level the rice by raking it with your fingers.



3. Measure the height of the rice using your middle finger, from the bottom of the pot to the top of the rice. Mark the height using your thumb.



4. Now, measure the height of the water, using again your middle finger, from the top of the rice to the top of the water. The height of the water should be the same as the height of the rice.
  5. Cover the pot and cook the rice over medium high heat. Put to a boil.




6. Lower the heat to medium once boilling. Put the lid on the side of the pot. This is to allow the steam to escape so that your rice won't become too mushy. This will also serve as your window to see if water has already been absorbed by the rice.


7. Cover the pot once the water has been completely absorbed and when you see little holes in the surface. Decrease the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit undisturbed (don't open the lid yet) for at least 5 minutes. 




8. Fluff the rice with a fork then serve.



Happy day always,

Rhea

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...