June 18, 2013

Tapioca Pudding with fresh fruits

Original, in French: La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur.
English: Good food is the foundation of genuine happiness.
~ Auguste Escoffier


This is our breakfast last Sunday - Tapioca Pudding with boiled taro (nilagang gabi). I saw the recipe from Yummy magazine and tweaked it a bit because some ingredients were not available in the kitchen. Tapioca Pudding is a Vietnamese dessert (Chè Chuối) and the difference of my pudding is I didn't cook the banana. I just want it fresh. May be next time, I'll do the authentic one.


It's my first time to make it and I was skeptic. But I was intrigued if it has the same taste like our ginataang halo-halo / bilo-bilo. And I just discovered that it hasn't. It has its own character... it's creamy and caramelly. I just fell in love the first time I tasted it.

INGREDIENTS:
Tapioca:
1 cup tapioca pearls (I used cooked tapioca, available in groceries and markets)
3/4 cup coconut cream
1 1/4 cup coconut juice
1 Tbsp caster sugar

Syrup:
1 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed firmly

Toppings:
1 ripe mango, chopped
1 ripe banana, chopped

PROCEDURE:
Tapioca:
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut juice, coconut cream, and caster sugar. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir in tapioca pearls. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. Turn off the heat and cool to room temperatures or keep in the fridge until needed.


Syrup:
- Combine sugar and coconut cream in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. (Be patient!). Set aside.

To assemble:
- Spoon some syrup on a glass or cup, fill it with tapioca pudding, and drizzle again with a little syrup. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, top with fresh mango and banana.

QUICK NOTES:
1. If you don't have coconut juice, substitute it with water.
2. Don't limit yourself with the toppings, top it with your favorite fruits (strawberries, grapes, apple, pineapple, etc) or add nuts.
3. You can also eat it plain (no toppings).

Serving: 4 glasses

Happy day always,

Rhea

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...